St. Gabriel Street Church (Montréal, Québec)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

St. Gabriel Street Church (Montréal, Québec)

Parallel form(s) of name

    Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

      Other form(s) of name

        Identifiers for corporate bodies

        Description area

        Dates of existence

        1792-

        History

        The original St. Gabriel St. Presbyterian Church was built in Montréal in 1792 and was located on the south-west corner of St. Gabriel and Champs-de-Mars. In 1886 the church moved to another building located on the south side of St. Catherine St. This building was sold in 1909 when the St. Gabriel St. church merged with Chalmers' Presbyterian Church to become the First Presbyterian Church. The first minister was the Rev. John Young (1792-1802) and among the early supporters of the Church could be found some of the most prominent merchants in Montréal, including James McGill, John Richardson, Benaiah Gibb and Simon McTavish. Some of the ministers of the church were: Henry Esson (1815-1844) who was also a chaplain of the St. Andrew's Society (1835-1844); Alexander Ferrie Kemp (1855-1866) who was a Vice-President of the Natural History; Society and Robert Campbell who wrote A History of the Scotch Presbyterian Church, St. Gabriel St. in 1887.

        Places

        Legal status

        Functions, occupations and activities

        Mandates/sources of authority

        Internal structures/genealogy

        General context

        Relationships area

        Access points area

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Occupations

        Control area

        Authority record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules and/or conventions used

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language(s)

          Script(s)

            Sources

            Maintenance notes